Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Glorify to Simplify



Glorify to Simplify

Around October of 2012 two separate things I was reading brought my attention to an interesting fact that makes life much, much simpler.  The first was the quote posted below from the book When Helping Hurts.   


“The Westminster Shorter Catechism teaches that human beings’ primary purpose is “to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever.” This is our calling, the ultimate reason for which we were created. We were created to serve and give praise to our Creator through our thoughts, words, and actions. When we do this, we experience the presence of God as our heavenly Father and live in a joyful, intimate relationship with Him as His children.”

The second quote that echoed this same thought was from the journal of George Muller, entitled Answers to Prayer From George Muller’s Narratives.  In it, Mr. Muller makes this statement (I know it’s wordy but it’s worth the effort).  

“This circumstance now led me to lie low before my God in prayer the whole of the evening, February 3, and to examine my heart once more as to all the motives concerning it; and being able, as formerly, to say, that His glory was my chief aim, i. e., that it might be seen that it is not a vain thing to trust in the living God,—and that my second aim was the spiritual welfare of the orphan-children,—and the third their bodily welfare; and still continuing in prayer, I was at last brought to this state, that I could say from my heart, that I should rejoice in God being glorified in this matter, though it were by bringing the whole to nothing. But as still, after all, it seemed to me more tending to the glory of God, to establish and prosper the Orphan-House, I could then ask Him heartily, to send applications. I enjoyed now a peaceful state of heart concerning the subject, and was also more assured than ever that God would establish it. The very next day, February 4, the first application was made, and since then 42 more have been made.”

The first quote makes the bold statement that our primary purpose for living is to bring God glory and the second is a bold example of a man attempting great things for God, but first putting this principle of glorifying above every other aspiration.  

And so I began to ponder, is this true?  Is our primary purpose to glorify God?  That would make life much simpler.  I wouldn’t have to worry if this path, ministry, or project was going to be a success.  All I would have to do is get up each morning and say, “God, my desire is to glorify you today, please show me how and just keep doing that all day!  That simple, before I speak I say to myself, does this glorify God, before I react...  But the question still remains, is this what the Bible teaches.  Looking at a survey of the Bible, it is clear God wants to have a relationship with mankind.  He communicates with mankind in various ways and sends his Son, actually God himself, to redeem mankind and restore the broken relationship.  It is also clear we are to glorify and praise God.  Scripture is clear God desires this and in the ten commandments demands that He is to be the only one we are to ever worship, praise, or glorify.  But is this the primary reason he created mankind?  And so I began to read my Bible with this idea in mind.  This is just a little of what I noticed.  

I Cor 1: 29-31
That no flesh should glory in his presence.  But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Revelations 4:11


Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Psalm 50:15
15 And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.

Matthew 5:16
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

John 12:28
28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.

John 17:22-23
And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Interesting to read the Bible from this prospective and oh what a relief to start your day with this single simple goal.  But do you know what I have forgotten in all the pressures of life and ministries?  I have forgotten to wake up each morning and focus on bringing honor and glory to my King.  This post is more of a reminder to me, that in this first month of the year I can simplify my life by focusing on this one very important thing. 

What do you think about this idea that “our primary propose is to glorify God?

References:
Corbett, Steve; Fikkert, Brian (2012-04-20). When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor . . . and Yourself (Kindle Locations 902-904). Moody Publishers. Kindle Edition. 


Müller, George (2009-10-04). Answers to Prayer From George Müller's Narratives (Kindle Locations 139-143). Public Domain Books. Kindle Edition.


Linking up with:


1 comment:

  1. Yes, whether we eat or drink we are to do all to the glory of God. I can't remember the Puritan's name that wrote: The Chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts with me.